Thursday, August 7, 2008

Survived...

Well I survived this most sad and emotionally draining week...not with much grace and not with much maturity but it is past. The above photo was the glorious sky and colors that were outside to bring us all a little relief after a very painful, wrenching memorial service. There are so many hurting young people and well grown ups too...but those teenagers really ripped me open. They are so lost and hurt and angry and confused...and unfortunately there will be nothing to take that all away any time soon... The service was touching and reached out to the kids to give them a message of importance and support and both Christian and Pagan religions melded to bring comfort to all...but I must say having to set up a service for someone who should still be here will never leave me...and after all was said and done all John and I wanted to do was get to our children and hug them and hold them so very close....perspective...






So having been through the wringer and out so late I called uncle and took Wed. off from work. (Did I mention that on top of this tragedy and all my work angst and my overall feeling of wanting to throw up I got a ticket on my way to work Tues. morning??!! I was dumbfounded and at my rock bottom...and it just felt like the final, final straw....so bad bad few weeks in my world...just capped off by my very unkind and yelling local law enforcement...) So with all this nastiness, we grabbed the ladies and went down to Ann Arbor to go to a members night at the hands on museum. I needed a break and time with the ladies and
So we went immediately for sustenance on arrival, which if you know me at all is my favorite part of any outing...eating!! Especially trying new foods and new places...or just really good old places. So with some prompting from me my gang agreed to try my favorite tiny (think 4 tables, Manhattan restaurant small) middle eastern restaurant Jerusalem Garden. I was amazed at how they all took into the food with yums, and ahs and oohs. We had falafel, fatoush, lentil soup, hommus and their home made pitas, and grabia (butter cookies) and turkish coffee. The ladies and the Irishman loved it! The ladies liked the falafal but it was a little spicy for them but the soup and fatoush were a huge hit!!!!!!! So if you are ever lucky enough to be in Ann Arbor track this great little place down on 5th Ave!! There are so many fantastic restaurants in this town to choose from but this one is on the cheaper end with great service and incredible eats!!!
So we wandered the cool little shops, and making it to the girls' favorite stop, Peaceable Kingdom, I think I posted on it in March when we took the train to Chicago. The bins of all things tiny and kitschy really call to our ladies. So we found more little fairies and animals and tiny little foods to bring home to their already too large collection. But the amount of time and play these little 50 cent pieces of plastic bring are worth all the damage they probably do to our vaccum cleaner. Also at this store is one of the places around town with a fairy door, Ella below peeking inside.

And we also have to visit John's favorite shop, Acme. It is very kitschy and if you have ever seen Archie McPhee's catalog it is very similar!





After all the shopping and poking around we were all a little weary. That is being kind, my feet felt like they had been caned across the bottom...so we meandered to a cool bookstore called Crazy Wisdom. They specialize in metaphysical and religious book selections and things like incense and stones and jewelry...but upstairs they have a really lovely little tea shop with pastries and some light food and coffees. So we all settled in for a few snacks and some beverages and some more than all that needed comfy chair and couch time! Our time here brought us up to time to wander for our Members Night at the Hands On Museum. Bronwyn was our fashionista for this outing complete with bows, glasses, purse etc...and she was fascinated by all the painted fire hydrants around town so had John take photos of her with them!!
I had almost forgot one of my fun finds of the day. Ages ago I had read about some folks reconditioning old cigarette machines into art vending machines. And I had never thought I would find one particularly here in Michigan! But at "The Robot Repair Shop" there it stood! So of course I had to have a go and for 5 dollars I have a small little wood block piece of art complete with hanging wire! I love the colors and lines of the machine and am grateful the Irishman got a photo with Bronwyn, Ella and I in the background!! So below are the museum photos, the top is a place where the kids dance and there is light that captures their moves on a screen this is a photo of what Bronwyn produced. Second, some really cool keys on the old time cash register in the pretend shop, and last Ella on a green screen making a tv show with a little guy she played with there! It was a nice evening filled with chemistry displays and snacks and crafting and imagining and running, music...and stairs... and after all this I still managed to get a Trader Joes run in! I so wish there was one near us not 2 hours away!! All for now! Overtime for me tomorrow...argh...and camp picnic tonight so need to create some things to take...




1 comment:

Courtney said...

I hope next week is full of wonderful surprises and lots of smiles!!