Saturday, January 26, 2008

Thrifting...

So even though my head may very well explode, (did I mention even my teeth hurt???) I ventured out in the world yesterday. I met my lovely friend Gloria with hopes of looking at rocks, yeah we like rocks and stones a lot!!, but the little shop was closed so we went and had tea and browsed at lovely books, well I should say drooled over lovely books! Once we had chatted, teaed and meandered appropriately, I realized I had only been out of the house an hour...so what else might I get into while out in the world....hmmm....the Salvation Army was having their re-grandopening....they recently added an entire extra shopfront onto their space all of it supposed to be women's clothes, I would prefer housewares and bric brac myself but they didn't ask me!

So I toddled over to have a poke around. They gave out blue tickets when you walked in for drawings and such....so I immediately immersed myself in women's pants. For some reason I have very few pants that fit...I have hundreds of tops and cardies but not much to rotate through the lower half...and as is per usual I tried on 5 pairs to find one pair of jeans!! Oh and let me say I was not impressed that the store that used to be half the size used to have 3 fitting rooms and now the mega store has one...they said they would like to not have any...ugh...so pants become a gamble at the Sally! Which I wouldn't mind if they weren't sometimes trying to charge 5 dollars a pair...and they weren't so surly...very disgruntled employees at our Sally!! I dug some more and found a cool embroidered doiley thingie with a flamingo on it, a couple of tank tops ( I believe in layers!) and of course another cardie!! (I think I have a problem, do they make a cardigans anonymous????) Well I was there long enough to be present for one of the drawings!! And as a shock to myself, I won!! I won a 50 dollar gift certificate!!! That is a lot of shopping at the Sally!! So one good thing came from my wandering...but then I was really tired so I went home to snuggle my lovelies and read bedtime books and curl up, once again, on my couch.

Oh, my little duckie above was a complete impulse purchase at a yard sale last summer. For some reason I had to have him and at 1.50 I didn't deny myself. He sat in the kitchen waiting to be worked into some shelf or area of the home, and Himself must have gotten tired of him there because I came home one day to find him on a ledge by our side door... I was sure I would move him, but you know he has been great to see as I come and go (especially after an icky day at work). His goofy little colorful self really picks me up and makes me smile, so 1.50 worked out to be really cheap therapy!! Who knew????

Ok, guess I need to get ready for work...and it is snowing yet again!!! Sigh....

2 comments:

BabyBrowman said...

Did a little thrifting myself on Sunday. Came away with some ties that will eventually become part of a costume that resides only in my head at the moment, and a nice light jacket that may become a patch collector.

Jamie

Sheila said...

I love old ties and have hopes of a crazy quilt made with them someday....a costume would be uber cool too!!