Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Sinclair Family





So once upon a time, there was a man named John and a woman named Isabel. It was 1926. They decided to build a house on a street in a town in Michigan. Well those two people went on to have 8 children who had children who married etc and so forth.
Well in 1996, a couple buys their first house and with this house comes a history about the Sinclairs with a picture of the 8 children on the front lawn. Intrigue and curiosity but forgotten with life as it came and went and changed. Flash ahead with me to 2006 a preschool and a mother and her daughter. Laughs and chit chat had then mother takes daughter to new preschool connection lost. Then 2009...kids yoga class mother and daughter reappear more chat ensues then there is facebook and some social gatherings with mutual friends and then finally the conversation..."You do not live in the big white house do you?" "Why yes I do?" "My father in law grew up in that house." Which brings us to today.
Today we had the honor of hosting the four remaining Sinclair children, a few spouses and a few children, and grandchildren and great grandchildren in our home, well their home really. It was an amazing day and lifted our hearts to hear all the memories and be greeted with hugs and kisses from a wonderful family who were so happy to be "home" again.
They wandered all around looking and peeking and remembering and my favorite brings tears to my eyes quotes was when one of the ladies (names are a blur to me right now) was coming down the stairs and she said "How many times has my hand come down this bannister?" I was really delighted that we could be part of this and see them all.
They said it was a happy house. A good place to grow up. And that there was always a lot of dancing in this house. Which funnily are things that people still say about our home. They always feel content here and there is always dancing!!
And to think several of them were born in what is now my bedroom is pretty darn powerful if you ask me!
This house has always been my gift and treasure. I love it's angles, it's quirks, it's history and the fact it had a story. I have always hoped to honor that story and add only good to it and today I had confirmation that in fact we really truly are. Thank you Sinclair Family for sharing your memories and reunion with us and hopefully there will be many more for us to witness!!

No comments: